Wednesday 19 December 2007

Tip 14: Smack Your Kid – It is Healthy!

For all those who thinks my method in parenting is abhorring ;P

As the articles have shown (click pictures for bigger read), the era of showing too much respect for the kid is anything but useful.

Here’s my take –

To the parent who thinks bringing up kids with velvet glove, and let them roam free, to the tune of encouraging ‘freedom of expression’, even if it inconvenient others…

To the parent who genuinely believe that those little darlings of yours cannot be hurt emotionally (it destroys their self esteem you know), or we must cajole and persuade rather than slamming down the kid…

I have this to say – Frankly, you’re just plain lazy (at the worst) and do not have the courage to fulfill your role as a responsible parent.

I am NOT one to support abuse, but if tough love and being firm but fair means making my kid a better person, so be it. I am sure what I have applied in disciplining my kid – at least in an Asian home where discipline of the child involves slapping and caning, as part and parcel of a good upbringing in a home – is no big secret. SmackDad only describe, in detail, these methods in written form. It will however, a word of caution, make uncomfortable reading for some.

I, for one, do not belong to a goody kid in my growing up years. And what I am today, I must thank my mum who does not hesitate in meting out punishment that is far cruel (and creative in inflicting pain) than what I have described in my previous blogs!

Do I hold it against her? NO! On the contrary, I LOVE her more than anything else. Through her ‘cruelness’ she taught me one of the most important life lesson, how to ‘jo yian’ (in Cantonese) or loosely translated, a person of sound character.

I thank you mummy (she must read this!)

Let me assure you, I take no pleasure in executing the harsher punishments. And the fear that your child will hold it against you is the least of your worries. Reason being, for those who bother (and do not read my views out of context!) will know that these disciplinary methods if applied, is only used once or twice. Your relationship with your child is more of communicating, which means hear what THEY (not you) got to say first, lots of hugs, kisses and encouraging love. Be involve. That makes the difference in binding the bond between parent and child. Of course, they must know SmackDad wields a big stick if matters get out of hand…

I have to reiterate, there are children who are born angelic and there is really no reason to use SmackDad treatment at all. Bless you.

But for the rest of us, we are not so fortunate. That is where the fun in being a parent begins!

Rule of the Day: A slap in time, may save nine (er, can someone enlighten me here?!?).

invite views | invite advise | invite questions | love it , share it or hate it, like to hear from you! Welcome to comment below or write to me smackdadspeaks@gmail.com

No comments: